The Cambridge Angels was founded in 2001 and has invested in over 100 technology startups, mostly in Cambridge and London. The group is regarded as one of the predominant angel groups in Europe and works with many of Europe's leading VCs. We are 60 angels, many of whom have built and sold world leading international technology businesses. The combined market capitalisation of companies founded by the angels exceeds $20 billion and employ many thousands of people. We provide capital and help with mentoring, building investment rounds, helping scale the companies and, eventually, exiting.
This is a unique opportunity to work with some of Europe's leading early stage investors, sourcing and completing deals in innovative technology companies seeking global impact. We are seeking a new team member to join probably the most active Angel Investor group in Europe. We have been incredibly successful since our creation, however we believe we can do more!
Are you someone who can help us to:
- develop our reach by building our networks for dual purpose; to attract high quality opportunities from the best incubators / accelerators etc. and increase our Angel Investor activity?
- help us make improvements to the way we work to make the funding process easier for entrepreneurs and to enable the Angels to focus on what they do best?
The role is based mainly in Cambridge, however there will be some travel to London/Oxford. You will spend a lot of time networking with angels and entrepreneurs both during the daytime and the evening and gain a great deal of experience.
As our members are all busy entrepreneurs or investors, you shouldn’t be afraid to badger us in order to get things done. Our environment and the way we work can be challenging, so you need to have resilience and embrace the fact that challenge is in our DNA!
The role will evolve as you gain experience in the business, so you need to be prepared for the unexpected and take it in your stride!
The salary reflects us being a membership organisation, and as this is a new role, it will initially be a 12 month fixed term contract with a view to extension. This is largely due to the way that we manage our budgets.
The role is 4 or 5 days per week and you will report to the chairman who is currently Peter Cowley and the Board. The chairman changes every 3 years. You will also have the benefit of the assistance from Oonagh, who has worked part-time for us for 9 years; you will be the manager of that role. And we are looking for someone who will stay with us for 3-4 years so that we can really benefit as you build up your knowledge of the start-up ecosystem.
If interested, please email Oonagh with your experience, qualifications for the role, your salary expectations and please let us know (briefly) why this role is of interest to you.
- Increase the amount invested annually by the Cambridge Angels
- Drive awareness of Cambridge angels as a source of finance to increase the pipeline of quality deals
- Increase pipeline of quality investment opportunities and ensure that prime deals that could have received investment aren’t overlooked
- Reduce time from initial enquiry to investment close
- Provide support to reduce members’ time spent on investment project management and due diligence, where required
- Evaluate and measure investment performance
- Track member activity and maintain the number of active Cambridge Angels members
- Improve our processes and how we work together
The main areas of responsibility of the CA Team and the new role are:
- Define the network and establish means of regular contact to actively source deals
- Collaborate with co-investors such as Cambridge Capital Group, Cambridge Enterprise, CIC, IQ and others
- Attend pitching events and other conferences and seminars
- Create and maintain marketing activities to enhance the Cambridge Angel brand
- Increase the pipeline of quality deals
- Maintain a database of network contact and network pipeline
- Arrange events (dinners, pitching events, annual members’ events)
- Maintain accurate and current public-facing information about CA
Deal sourcing and screening
- Maintain the member database (‘tagging’ interests and expertise) and proactively match deals to Cambridge Angel expertise/focus to assist in rapid screening
- Proactively drive the pipeline from enquiry to pitching and timely follow up on deals of interest
- Document and distribute pitch notes (where needed)
- Maintain the deal pipeline and deal database
Investment / Process
- Support or project manage the administration of deals working with Cambridge Angel deal lead
- Design and implement CA nominee structure (if agreed)
- Evaluate processes and drive process improvement and professionalism
- Project manage due diligence (if needed)
- Create and maintain a list of template documents for investment and company administration
- Conduct due diligence activities (where needed)
- Distribute template documents as required
- Regular communications with portfolio companies
- Maintain and build a network of external mentors, advisors and investors who can help the portfolio develop successful businesses
- Arrange regular portfolio events
- Track and understand membership activity
- Proactively target and acquire new members with relevant expertise
- Manage the membership base including facilitating applications by new members and current membership tracking
- Manage membership subscriptions including facilitating payments, financial administration and tracking
Finance and management
- Provide leadership and direction to the Cambridge Angel team
- Provide annual financial reporting
- Compile, analyse and present deal reporting (deal success measures, annual investment reports)